The town of Hryców by the Chomor river, a tributary to Słucza, used to be part of the allodial properties of the Ostrogski princes. However, in 1605 the properties were already held by prince Janusz Zbaraski. The were transferred from his heirs to the Lubomirski family. Stanisław Lubomirski, Lord High Steward of the Crown, sold Hryców with all adjoining properties in 1752 to Michał from Grabów Grocholski - coat of arms Syrokomla (b. 1704), district judge of the Bracław voivodeship, married to Anna Radzimińska. Michał's heir was his son Marcin (1727 - 1807), voivode of Bracław, married to Cecylia Myszka-Chołoniewska, who in turn handed over Hryców to the youngest of his five sons - Ludwik (1784 - 1869), married to Maria née Baworowska. The next heir of the Hryców keystone was Ludwik's only son, Mieczysław Grocholski (1812 - 1899), married to Stefania Giżycka, family crest Gozdawa. After the death of Mieczysław, the properties already considerably reduced by various dowries, fell to Włodzimierz Grocholski (1857 - 1914), deputy to the Russian Duma (parliament), the younger of his two sons. The older son, Stefan (1850 - 1911) settled in Kołodno, the property of his wife Olga née Świejkowska. Since Włodzimierz Grocholski was unmarried at the time of his death, his nephew Stefan Grocholski (1890 - 1943, also unmarried) became the last heir of Hryców. Hence the extinction of the Hryców line of the Grocholski princes.
Historical records on interiors, both on their architecture and furnishings, unfortunately are very scarce and superficial. Hence what we do know, is that a spatial entrance hall, with two-armed, sculptured stairs of oak, leading to the first floor, were adorned with portraits of Polish kings, painted on plaster in fresco technique. The ground floor also comprised several representation rooms, a library and dining room, covered with panelling. All representation premises were adorned with overdoors and mouldings. Floors were laid down in patterns of oak woodblocks. Apart from stoves, several rooms also had fireplaces. The grand ballroom on the first floor was especially richly ornamented with mouldings. It featured a huge cristal chandelier, hanging down from the ceiling. Historical furniture, mainly made of mahogany, was probably manufactured at the site. Among collections of historical and cultural value the library ranked high, with mainly heraldic and historical resources, complemented by a family archive, a gallery of Polish and foreign paintings, porcelain with a collection of figurines, cristals and old silver items. Large amounts of old silver were walled in by the owners during the 1st World War, in one of the palace's basements. It was accidentally found only several decades later.
At a small distance from the palace at its right side, Ludwik Grocholski erected in the mid-19th century a neo-Gothic home chapel, designed by count Konstanty Broel - Plater. It had a quadrilateral plan, with height corresponding to the palace. Small towers crowned with double ogival domes were added to all corners of the chapel. The tower with signature and cross was located on the axis, to crown the façade.
Interior was adorned i.a. by a sculpture from white marble, situated in the main altar and carved by Oskar Sosnowski, depicting the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
In front of the palace, at the other side of the very extensive treeless courtyard, there was an ashlar entrance gate, composed of two several-metre long pillars and two lower small walls, with rectangular holes for gates. Both pillars, from the external as well as from the internal sides, were ornamented with pairs of columns. Also, both were completed with wide cornices, featuring figural sculptures based on plinths. From side of forecourt, the courtyard was encircled by boards fixed into walled, plastered quadriangular poles with stone spheres on their tops. The gate was entered by a bridge across a ditch, trace of former fortifications of the small castle.
A park of a dozen or so hectares with a diverse tree cover, covered mainly the area at the sides and rear of the palace, where the gradually falling terrain reached to a pond, created by the area overflown by the Chomor river. The Hryców garden had a landscape character.
|< Prev||Next >|